Brampton Youth Criminal Laywer (YCJA)
In Canada, the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) applies to youths between the ages of 12 and 18 that have been charged with a criminal offence (often referred to as young offenders). Whether proceedings against the accused are brought in youth court depends upon the date that the offence was alleged to have taken place, not the age of the individual at the time that they are charged or brought to trial. This Act sets out the special ways that youth ought to be treated and recognizes a number of principles that differentiate them adult accused people.
Key principals that govern youth Crime in Canada
The preamble to the YCJA contains a number of key principles that govern the purpose and aim of the Act. Some of the key principles are summarized below:
- The youth justice system should foster responsibility and ensure accountability through meaningful consequences to the youth;
- The youth justice system should hold young persons accountable through measures that are proportionate to the seriousness of the offences and the degree of responsibility of the young person;
- The youth justice system should promote rehabilitation and the reintegration of young persons who have committed offences;
- The youth justice system should support the prevention of crime by referring young persons to programs and agencies in the community in order to address the circumstances underlying their behaviour;
- The youth justice system should provide enhanced procedural protections, as well as the right to privacy.
The key principles noted above demonstrate how the YCJA seeks to promote the rehabilitation and reintegration of youths back into society. It is also generally accepted that youth have a diminished level of moral culpability and must therefore be dealt with separately under their own Act.
Why you should hire Passi & Patel – Criminal Lawyers?
It is crucial to hire an experienced Brampton criminal lawyer to assist you, your child or your family in order to better understand what to expect and what protections can be afforded to you. At Passi & Patel, our Brampton criminal lawyers understand the special demands that youth criminal proceedings can have on the accused as well as their family. Through our experience with youth clients, we can ensure that you get the guidance and representation that you deserve. Call us today at 905-459-0004 for a free consultation with one of our Brampton criminal lawyers.